The Pardina Mill
The Pardina Mill was in operation for around 120 years, from the 1850s right through to the 1970s. In 2004, it was declared a cultural asset of local interest.
Although it is popularly known as the Pardina Mill, in reference to the adjoining house to which it was built, it is also sometimes called the Sabench Mill, after its first owner or the Cellera Mill.
In order to optimize production, in 1944, the Espígol family completely renovated the mill, converting it into a flour mill. Alongside the existing grindstones, three new mills were added, produced by the Morros company in Barcelona, as well as all the very latest machinery, making it one of the biggest flour mills in the province of Girona.
The mill is composed of various adjoining buildings, which together comprise the modern manufacturing complex. The rectangular central building is where the mill originally stood. Next to it, the flour mill was housed in a two-storey building crowned by a triangular stepped pediment. Built in the 1970s and of no architectural interest, the rest of the buildings and warehouses were used to produce marble dust for construction purposes (with the rock coming directly from the town’s quarries).
Behind the building, there is a key element for the functioning of the complex: the pond, which is fed by the water that the Gros canal draws and brings from the Pasteral reservoir.
When it was declared cultural asset of local interest in 2004, the Pardina Mill had several machines in perfect condition, with a spectacular system of drive shafts, conveyor belts and tree-shaped wooden tubes for transporting the grain. However, over time, the roofs gave way and the rain and the elements ruined the machinery to the extent that, nowadays, little more than the walls, pipes and memories remain.
You will find an information panel with access to digital recreations of the monument.