Megalithic monuments of Tossa de Mar
Pedra sobre altra: UTM(ETRS89): 31T, 495047, 4623198
D'en Garcia: UTM(ETRS89): 31T, 494038, 4622236
Ses Rates Paradolmen: UTM(ETRS89): 31T, 493323, 4622112
L'Avi Menhir: UTM(ETRS89): 31T, 493455, 4623319
Menhir de Montllor: UTM(ETRS89): 31T, 494064, 4621951
Tossa de Mar
Several locations in the Ardenya Massif ·
The Ardenya Massif is one of the places in Catalonia with the greatest concentration of megalithic monuments. In Selva they are located in the mountainous area in the north of the municipality of Tossa de Mar. These monuments, built between the Late Neolithic and the Early Bronze Age, have always been a source of legends and mystery and have generated curiosity about their functions and meaning. The megalithic monuments in the Tossa area include three paradolmens (burial chambers built partially using natural cavities) and two menhirs.
- Pedra sobre Altra Paradolmen (2500 – 2200 aC). The chamber and part of the access passageway are in a good state of preservation. The large rock crowning the chamber is of particular interest.
- D’en Garcia Paradolmen (2500 – 2200 aC). Smaller than the previous example, the burial chamber has been perfectly preserved and the passageway is shorter.
- Ses Rates Paradolmen (2500 – 1800 aC). This paradolmen consists of dual chambers covered by a large stone slab.
- L’Avi Menhir (3000 – 2500 aC). Granite menhir measuring 1.75 m high x 1.25 m wide x 30 cm thick.
- Montllor Menhir (3000 – 2500 aC). Granite menhir measuring 2.45 high x 90 cm wide x 70 cm thick, with a pronounced groove on one of its sides.