Chapel of Sant Pere de Montsoriu
The impressive Montsoriu Castle, administrative centre of the feudal lordship of the Viscounts of Cabrera and dating back to at least 1002, had three successive chapels (pre-Romanesque, Romanesque and Gothic), located in different parts of the fortified enclosure.
The 10th-century pre-Romanesque chapel is located at the east end of the upper enclosure. It is a small single-nave chapel with a horseshoe-shaped apse at the east end. Inside, the remains of the altar and some mural paintings can be observed. Demolished between the end of the 12th century and the early 13th century, it was replaced by the Romanesque chapel.
The new chapel is located at the south end of the enclosure surrounding the parade ground. In fact, its east and south walls form part of the enclosure. It has a rectangular floor plan and a window (partially walled in) can be observed on its north wall, behind the altar. To the west of the chancel there is a small chapel dedicated to Santa Maria de Montsoriu.
The Romanesque chapel was replaced in the 14th century by a new chapel in the Gothic style, located in the adjacent area of the north end.